The California Fresh Fruit Association’s Board of Directors was surveyed in January 2021, ranking the top issues for the year. Here are the results:
- Increasing Wage Costs (Base/Minimum Wages/Overtime Thresholds)
- Groundwater Management Requirements (SGMA)
- Federal Immigration Policies Addressing Current & Future Labor Forces
- Labor Regulatory Compliance
- Water Supply Availability & Curtailment
- Health Care Costs (Policy Costs/Paid Sick Leave)
- Immigration Enforcement (ICE)
- Federal and State Food Safety Compliance Requirements
- Plant Health Materials (Pesticides, Herbicides, Fungicides, Etc.)
- Workers’ Compensation Costs
The 2019/20 legislative year created many difficult hurdles for CFFA membership to address, while honing their focus towards issues that they would like to see the Association work on in 2021. From changing water policies, to changes in labor standards, food safety protocols and compliance issues, to healthcare and access to plant health materials; actions taken by the State and Federal Governments have created an environment in which it will be difficult for agriculture operations to survive in California.
While it is not specifically listed, issues surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic will continue to have an overarching influence on all advocacy efforts the Association takes on this year. As always, it will be the Association’s goal to work on behalf of its members to address these issues and many more as they arise to create a better working environment for their businesses.